Save the Dates! Registration opens April 1, 2023
NOTE: THIS SITE IN PREVIEW MODE UNTIL ABOVE DATE
with editing and additions underway
Gather with birders and birding leaders from across the Empire State—and birding friends from nearby Connecticut and northern New Jersey too—for a weekend celebrating the birds and birders of New York.
This annual meeting of the New York State Ornithological Association (NYSOA) will include a wealth of birding activities—field trips, special speakers, research updates, and vendors—as well as a gathering of delegates from over 40 bird clubs and Audubon chapters affiliated with NYSOA.
Saw Mill River Audubon is the hosting organization for the 2023 New York Birders Conference / NYSOA Annual Meeting. Please contact our conference email address with any questions.
2023 Conference Highlights
- Saturday night banquet speaker will be David Allen Sibley, renowned bird artist and field guide author.
- Tom Stephenson, co-author of The Warbler Guide will be our workshop keynote presenter on Saturday afternoon with a special presentation about learning bird sounds.
- Birding field trips on Saturday and Sunday mornings will visit shoreline locations along the Hudson River and Long Island Sound, including NYS Important Bird Areas and key regional hotspots, with good timing for the fall migration of neotropical migrants, shorebirds and raptors.
- Saturday afternoon workshop topics will include birding and bird photography skills, advocacy and arts.
- Saturday afternoon paper/poster sessions will present research topics in ornithology. Application is here for researchers of all levels (from high school to postgrad) to present paper or poster sessions, with conference registration provided for presenters, and a possible scholarship for lodging.
- Saturday late afternoon delegates meeting for the New York State Ornithological Association will include representatives from bird clubs and Audubon chapters across New York state.
- Don’t miss a chance to compete for fame and glory in our Friday night Birding Quiz, designed and administered by the NYS Young Birders Club for birders of all ages.
- An expanded vendor area with nature and birding merchandise will include birding gear, books, crafts, gifts, with a silent auction featuring donated vendor items and gifts. (Vendor application is here.)
- CONFERENCE REGISTRATION WILL OPEN April 1, 2023. (Note: please do not reserve hotel rooms before this date. The conference rate will not be available until April 1.)